Officers and Men

Blanket of white snow had engulfed everything around.It had snowed for the first time in the valleys this winter.The intensity of the sun started rising once the snowfall stopped.Multiple reflections of the sun rays reached a tin rooftop on the other side of the road which blazed directly on my blue shades.Awesomely soothing I should say.The relief was shortlived.Immediately a gust of wind started blowing.The arteries and veins seemed to contract.A slap on the cheeks which were exposed.
I looked around and saw a tea stall nearby.Without wasting time ran for shelter.
"Ek chai aur cigarette dijiyega please."
"Cigarette kaun si lenge Janaab?"
"Kings ...badi waali"
"Yeh lo Janaab.Aap Hindustan se ho ?"
This question hit me even more stronger than the chilling winds on my cheeks.I never expected this sort of a question.Not able to understand how to react answered in a single syllable - "haan!"

I am giving an account of my recent trip to Srinagar.From the moment one reaches Srinagar do you find very tight security.Men in uniform guarding the whole city.On the way to hotel I was sort of confused.The mesmerizing beauty of the place,the beautiful hills surrounding the city,the charming Dal lake and lush green estates all around.On the other hand the view of all these scenic wonders are interrupted by men in uniform with snipers and hand ammunition.An unusual tension can be seen on all their faces.I was left all confused.
So far away from the capital I realised that things like Leftist,Rightist,Communist do not hold good here.I have left them far away.You are just a few seconds away from the bullets on the other side of the border.
Kashmir has been termed as the paradise on Earth.Few can contradict it though.A place you would promise to return.Can we not have the paradise once again or is it too late....is it paradise lost?



Comments

  1. is the paradise lost? .. it is probably getting late.. unless..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. Have had similar experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if its really so...........i think its getting late late....our act must be got together before paradise is lost....

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... dat was actualy touching... yea its d Paradise lost...ppl still fighting to gain d paradise wen dey r eventually ruining it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Avik....First,i shud say u are a awesome writer & this article shud b published...wht else, i hv to praise ur words n way of writing...I know u have a picture bout it in ur mind, y don't u put it in ur canvas...:)

    It's so true that we have the so called paradise on Earth in our own country still we don't have it. The paradise has lost its real meaning, what it was & what its today with the gunmen & fear all around. As i heard, "A wise man hears one word and understands two."

    I hope reading this article wud ignite people to think bout the uncertain future of Kashmir.


    Keep writing Dude..!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heyy bro.... U possess a brilliant style of putting words together and pulling out the very essence of it... Quite remarkable.... I always tend to find your writings meaningful, I like that strait of urs....

    I never been to Kashmir before... but from what I read above... I was able to figure out an imaginary picture of the scenic beauty of the nature... The crystal clear water of Dal Lake to the milky white snowcapped mountain peaks.... Very much "Contrasted to the Men in uniform".....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Date with One Zero Zero

Memories in March

From Russia with love